Crafting Leather Sandals Online
This is your introductory workshop to handcrafting leather footwear. Learn the basics of shoe-making, and try your hand at making your own pair of leather sandals.
Nov 29* (Sunday)| 1PM - 5PM
*Registration will close on Nov 18 to allow ample time for the production of shoe lasts which will be customized to the student's size.
About the Instructor
Tal de Guzman is the founder of and designer at Risque Designs, and an instructor at the SoFA Design Institute.
(1) One pair of leather sandals
Topics and Techniques
- Introduction to shoe making
- Preparing the shoe lasts
- Pattern making
- Lasting of sandals
- The basic fee covers specialized tools for sandal making. This includes a pair of shoe lasts, real leather insoles and upper, rubber outsoles, adhesive, and handouts with design guide. Student will have enough materials for 2 extra pairs of sandals that they can use after the class.
- Basic tools such as a cutting mat, cutter, hammer, metal ruler, and a cutting board are also needed for this class. Those who do not have these tools may purchase the Beginner’s Essentials Add-on.
To make the most out of the class, make sure that you have the following:
- Stable internet connection (stay close to your router for stronger connection)
- Device that has a camera and mic (i.e., smart phone, tablet, laptop)
- Sturdy table that can take a lot of hammering
- Work space wherein you can make considerable noise.
- Make sure you work at a well-ventilated area. Working outdoors is ideal. Wearing a mask is also an option. Breathing in large amounts of adhesive fumes is not safe.
- Make sure you have the following materials that are not included in the basic fee: cutting mat, cutter, hammer, metal ruler, and a cutting board. Those who do not have these tools may purchase the Beginner’s Essentials Add-on.